Why ruin your day with a speed ticket when cruising over the limit for only a few miles per hour – you need our editor’s choice of the Top 10 Best Car Radar Detectors in 2017 to help you out. Over the years, police have enforced speeding and it is becoming more difficult to avoid speed traps.
This is where the best car radar from a basic to the more top of the range devices can help to prevent an officer from reading your speed limit. We have chosen ten of the top car radar detectors in 2017 to keep you worry free and out of trouble while traveling by car.
What are Car Radar Detectors
There are traffic laws set up for a reason as there are many people sharing the road. This is why there are rules in place to make the roads safer! These laws and traffic officers help us to facilitate communication between one motorist to another keeping the road safe.
However, there are times when you do go over the speed limit and to help you prevent this from happening you need a car radar detector. Furthermore, this does not mean that you can go ahead and disobey the rules of the road as the system may detect radar vicinity in the area but does not mean that the traffic officer is not tracking your speed.
How does a car radar detector work?
A radar gun sends out a radar pulse that bounces off the neighboring landscape and reflects the pulse back to the radar gun when finding moving objects. To determine the speed the Doppler shift reflects a signal known as a frequency change within a wave.
This Doppler Effect you experience once you start hearing a police siren approaching from afar as the frequency of the siren starts off low but grows higher as it moves toward you. As the police siren passes you, this incidence starts dropping the further the siren goes away. By using a radar gun, it measures the moving vehicle and establishes the speed with elevated accurateness as long the radar guns calibrated.
Why do you use a radar detector?
Whenever a traffic officer uses a radar gun to measure the speed you are traveling, the frequency bounces off the surrounding area and eventually fades away and detects a ripple effect. With a radar detector, you can determine the strength of the wave (siren) and helps you to know how close the police or radar gun is to you.
Using a radar gun in the United States only works on 3 radar frequency bands:
- The X-band: 10.5 to 10.55 GHz
- K-band 24.05 to 24.26 GHz
- Ka-band 33.4 to 36 GHz
When you buy any of the best car radar detectors reviewed here with us, the device should be able to detect these three radar frequencies mentioned here!
On the other hand, the major reason you would want to buy a radar detector is to be able to ride with speed without getting a speeding ticket. In our detailed reviews, we personally find that radar detectors are devices that help keep you safe on the road.
Why, as the best car radar detectors makes you aware of your surrounding area while traveling by road. They give you different alerts from helpful ones to false ones making you more alert on the road.
Best Car Radar Detectors Comparisons
|The Escort Max 360 Radar Detector||3.9||$600-$650|
|The Valentine One Radar Detector||4.5||$450-$500|
|The Escort RedLine Radar Detector||4.0||$400-$450|
|The Escort Passport 9500IX||4.4||$300-$350|
|The Escort Max II HD||4.0||$300-$350|
|The Cobra XRS9470 Radar Detector||3.7||$150-$200|
|The Whistler CR90 Laser Radar Detector||3.7||$150-$200|
|The Cobra SPX 7800BT||3.6||$50-$100|
|The Cobra XRS9370||3.7||$50-$100|
|The Cobra ESD7570 9-Band Radar Detector||3.6||Below $50|
Review of 10 Best Car Radar Detectors in 2017
A Radar Detector that Increases the Bar
1. The Escort Max 360 Radar Detector
If you are in need of radar that increases the bar, the Escort Max 360 is an award-winning detector. This amazing device gives you an extreme range with up to date response time. Additionally, it pinpoints precision and gives you directional aware display.
Amazing Design and Features
- The Max 360 has 5 levels of filtering with 3 driving modes and speed base sensitivity giving you unmatched precision. The device connects by means of Bluetooth to the EscortLive app.
- The device protects you against predictable radar/laser perils as it has a preloaded Defender Database to alert you against 1000s of speed camera positions and red lights.
- The tool alerts you with directional arrows and displays the region of known threats on an HR display.
- You receive strength signals of your speed limit in real time when you connect the device to EscortLive, showing relative speed-to-speed limit and gives clear voice alerts.
- The device gives alerts in all direction of four times the range and is has standard & intelligent filtering
- Designed with custom filtering, crowdsource alert, web ready and customizable
- Includes a premium SmartCord, magnetic StickyCup mount and travel case
- The dimensions of the Escort Max 360 is 1.4 x 3.6 x 5.4-inches and weighs 1.9 pounds
- Includes a one-year limited warranty
- Gives you ease of use with the plug and play features
- Has an excellent range that scans the entire range quickly with the DSP scanning
- Fast reaction time
- GPS automatic lockouts when driving
- Quiets down signals when traveling at low speeds
- Has a solid and stable sticky cup mounts
- Can customize the display
- Can still give you false alerts
- The detector is massive and heavy
One of the Highest Performing Car Radar Detectors on the Market
2. The Valentine One Radar Detector
For one of the highest performing radar detectors on the market choose the Valentine One Radar Detector! Why, it has two antennas, one facing forward and facing back.
Has a Resourceful Design and Features
- Designed with two radar antennas one facing forward and one rear-facing antenna
- The device tells you from what direction the signal is coming and is windshield-mounted
- Has excellent laser reception and you can update it with latest hardware and software
- Detects X, K, Ka and Super Wideband Ka Detection
- Gives you a 360° radar protection against all types of laser
- Includes arrow directional indicators
- The dimensions of the Valentine One is 6 x 2.5 x 4-inches and weighs 10.6 ounces
- Includes a one-year limited warranty
- Designed with arrows to help locate the source of a threat
- Gives you a long range of detection
- Has an effective design
- The mount included with the radar detectors superb
- Does give false alerts but you can solve the problem by using it paired with your iOS or Android and disable the Ka guard and load in custom sweets to your phone.
- You can do this by using your phone’s GPS and the app so that the detector can automatically mute false alerts.
One of the Most Sensitive Car Radar Detectors
3. The Escort RedLine Radar Detector
The Escort RedLine Radar Detector is one of the most sensitive radar detectors found on the market. For maximum performance, the tool has a twin-antenna for the longest warning range.
Exceptional Design and Features
- Detects front and rear laser detection
- Capable of detecting X, K, and SuperWide Ka warnings
- Designed with a dual antenna
- Designed with a bright 280-LED display that reads alphanumeric characters
- Has AutoMode intelligence to reduce false alerts with Total Shield technology
- The antennas have VTO (Varactor-tuned) microwave receiver with DSP (digital signal processing) to give a wide range
- Has mute and AutoMute for false alerts
- Includes a SmartPlug power cord with a quick release mount to attach the radar detector to the windshield with a travel case
- Includes a one-year limited warranty with a two-year extended warranty if preferred
- The dimensions of the product is 3 x 3 x 3-inches and weighs 1.6 pounds when shipped
- Gives an unbelievable range
- Exceptional sensitivity
- Gives voice alerts and the displays customizable
- Reasonably priced
- Not suitable for city driving
- Does give false alerts
- Does not have a great speaker sound
A Long Range Warning Radar Detector
4. The Escort Passport 9500IX
The Escort Passport 9500LX has a long-range warning with front and a rear laser sensor that gives you 360° detection with a wide field of view.
Brilliant Design and Features
- Gives you crystal-clear voice alerts and has a high-resolution display
- Has variable speed radar performance with AutoLearn intelligence customizable according to your needs.
- With the AutoLearn, the device recognizes false alerts and you can toggle it off in the main menu.
- Designed with brightness controls and safety warnings
- You receive included with your purchase an owner’s manual, a coiled SmartCord, quick-release windshield mount, and a quick reference card
- Available in two stylish colors blue and red
- The Escort Passport is web-ready and has AutoPower
- Designed with TrueLock/GPS filter to eliminate false alerts
- Designed with an extensive database of marking locations, red light cameras, speed cameras, and speed traps
- The device has variable speed sensitivity that helps measure your speed with GPS and automatically varies the strength of the radar for optimal protection
- Alerts you via voice and visual on the blue LED display
- Includes mute, AutoMute and AutoVolume
- Alerts you far in advance and should not be taken as a false alert
- The AutoLearn function works well, especially when traveling the same route on a daily basis and very helpful
- Has a superb sensitive feature and works well
- Ready to use out of the box
- Can still give false alerts as the signals very sensitive
A Radar Detector with Military Technology
5. The Escort Max II HD
For one of the best radar detectors, the Escort Max II HD has incorporated military technology known as DSP (Digital Signal Processing.)
Fantastic Design and Features
- The Escort Max II has an amazing OLED display
- Has built-in Bluetooth and is incorporated with military technology DSP
- Customizable according to your personal driving preferences
- You have access to the EscortLive app for real-time protection while on the road
- The device is preloaded with speed camera locations and red lights and is updated weekly
- Designed with anti-flashing system and gives you crystal-clear voice alerts with voice text displayed on the screen
- Includes a one-year limited warranty and a year’s subscription to Escort Live Premium
- Dimensions: 5.2 x 3.2 x 1-inches and the product weighs 9.6 ounces when shipped
- Designed with plug-and-play
- Easy to set up and use with the plug-and-play feature
- Easy to mount
- Gives good detection, filtering and the automatic learn is a superb feature to have
- Filters out false alerts
- Good performance
- Can adjust the color of the screen
- Exceptional range
- Gives brief alerts in real-time
- Laser sensitivity is poor
- And the Max II is not stealth to radar detectors
For an Ultra Compact Radar Detector
6. The Cobra XRS9470 Radar Detector
The Cobra XRS9470 is an ultra compact radar detector with an ultraBright data display.
Innovative Design and Features
- Designed with a digital strength meter for driving in the city and on highways
- Has voice alert
- Can pick up Radar Gun POP with the Pop Mode
- Designed with VG-2 and Spectre Alert
- While traveling in the city or on the highway you can customize the radar detector to help reduce false alarms
- Detects seven radar signals and six laser signals in any direction and gives you one safety alert traffic warning
- The display is bright and has identification icons and voice alert function
- Product dimensions: 2.8 x 1.3 x 4.2-inches and the item weight is 5-ounces
- Picks up fewer false alarms compared to some of the best radar detectors available online
- Works well with laser detection
- Picks up radar signals well in K and Ka band
- The suction cup mount is not one of the best and sags badly
A Fully Featured Dash Mounted Radar Detector
7. The Whistler CR90 Laser Radar Detector
For a fully featured dash mounted radar detector, the Whistler CR 90 Laser stands out for all the right reasons.
Has a Fully Featured Design
- The Whistler has an incorporated GPS database that keeps you up to date with speed cameras and red light traffic cameras
- Includes Ka receptive and gives you false alerts in advance via the Traffic Flow Signal Rejection and filter modes
- Detects all the latest laser guns and features an external audio jack
- Designed with a dedicated vehicle battery saver
- Has three city/highway modes with six filter modes
- Dimensions: 2.9 x 1.2 x 4.5-inches and the product item weighs one pound
- Has a high gain lens with a one-year warranty
- Works well with all types of speed detection equipment used
- Best used in KA-ID
- Alerts well
- Needs to be placed midway on the windshield and not low as it reduces the range detection
A Radar Detector for a Double Detection Range
8. The Cobra SPX 7800BT
For a double detection range, the Cobra SPX 7800BT will help you out! This is one of the best radar detectors in 2017 that is a game changer.
Has a Surprising Design and Features
- Designed to detect both radar and laser guns
- Includes super-fast POP mode and has a color OLED display
- Compatible with the free Cobra iRadar app that gives you powerful driving tools
- Has Live Traffic Data Integration that shows you real-time traffic information
- Has IntelliShield False Signal Rejection, Community Threat Sharing Compatible, eight-point GPS compass, and Voice Alert
- The display of the units customizable
- Has city/highway modes with LaserEye
- Designed with a digital strength meter, auto mute, high-gain lens, Ku Band detection, auto mute, IntelliMute, IntelliMute Pro, dim mode, safety & strobe alert and much more
- Dimensions: 3.7 x 2.4 x 1.5-inches and weighs 11.2 ounces when shipped
- False alarms is not an issue with this radar detector
- Bluetooth integration
- Great software
- Solid device
- Value for money spent
- The compass and speed display gives the unit a nice touch
- Color display
- Screen is hard to see during the day
- Does give some false alerts
A Super Fast Radar Detector
9. The Cobra XRS9370
For a super fast radar detector look at the Cobra XRS9370, that has sweep circuitry for added detection in a long range.
Superfast Design and Features
- Detects the fastest radar guns with the superfast sweep circuitry
- Discover the latest radar gun POP when used in Pop mode
- Detects VG-2 and Spectre
- Designed with city/highway modes that help reduce false alerts
- Detects KU band and has a compact design to detect all 14 radar/laser bands
- Has a digital strength meter, auto mute, LaserEye 360° detection, safety alert, dimmer for night time use and has a memory function
- Dimensions: 2.8 x 1.3 x 4.2-inches and weighs 4.8 ounces
- False alarms is not a concern with this radar detector
- The software is great to use
- A durable and solid built device
- Can integrate with your Smartphone via Bluetooth
- Does give some false alerts
A 360° Radar Detector
10. The Cobra ESD7570 9-Band Radar Detector
The Cobra ESD7570 9-Band Radar Detector gives you 360° detection when used.
Great Design and Features
- The radar detector gives you detection of different types of laser tools
- Gives you safety alert warnings and is equipped with Safety Alert Transmitters
- Designed to detect VG-2 and Spectre
- Has city/highway modes to reduce false alerts
- Detects all laser signals used in the USA and Canada
- Designed with an UltraBright display with band identification icons
- Recognizes band detection with ease and has mute, dim, LaserEye, and a signal strength meter
- Includes the radar detector, documentation, coiled power cord, a windshield bracket kit and suction-cup mount
- Dimensions: 2.7 x 1.3 x 4.1-inches and weighs 4.3 ounces
- Gives enough warning for speed traps
- Accurate and gives fewer false alerts
- The brightness is hard to see at daytime
When you do decide on buying any of our Top 10 Best Car Radar Detectors in 2017, you will be receiving quality devices to help you detect speed traps and other laser devices used. Always remember that these devices can only detect a police officer if they have their radar on. Choose any of the above units to help you drive safer on the road as it could help you avoid expensive speeding fines.